Our experienced criminal defense attorneys represent clients against State and Federal criminal charges in Mercer County, NJ, from Speeding and DUI offenses to Aggravated Assault and Domestic Violence Restraining Orders GET A FREE CONSULTATION
Mercer County NJ Drug Possession Defense Lawyer
Possession of a controlled dangerous (CDS) is one of the most common criminal charges issued in Mercer County, New Jersey. The potential penalties that a Defendant faces for possessing drugs in New Jersey will depend directly on two factors. The type of drug in question and the quantity. The potential penalties can range anywhere from a nominal fine all the way up to five years in a State Prison. Some of the most common drug possession charges litigated in Mercer County include possession of marijuana under 50 grams, possession of cocaine, possession of heroin, possession of molly and possession of prescription drugs.
If you or a loved one has been charged with possessing a controlled dangerous substance in Mercer County, the Law Offices of Proetta & Oliver can help. Our office has extensive experience representing clients charged with not only possessing a controlled dangerous substance but possessing a controlled dangerous substance with the intent to distribute, being the leader of a drug trafficking network and operating a drug manufacturing facility. Our office serves all of Mercer County and we routinely appear in the following courts the Hamilton Municipal Court, the Ewing Municipal Court, the Lawrenceville Municipal Court, the West Windsor Municipal Court, the Robbinsville Municipal Court, the Trenton Municipal Court, and the Mercer County Superior Court. Throughout Mr. Oliver’s career he has represented countless Defendants who have been charged with various drugs offenses in towns throughout Mercer County. If you have been charged with the possession of a controlled dangerous substance and would like a free initial consultation, then please contact our office at (609)789-0779. We are available around the clock to help assist in anyway that we can. Here is a list of some of the most common drug possession charges issued in Mercer County.
Common Drug Possession Charges issued in NJ
- Marijuana Possession Under 50 Grams
- Marijuana Possession Over 50 Grams
- Possession of Heroin
- Possession of Cocaine
- Possession of MDMA
- Possession of Ecstasy
- Possession of Crack Cocaine
- Possession of Prescription Drugs
- Possession of Crystal Meth
What are the Potential Penalties for Possessing Drugs in NJ
As touched upon above, drug possession charges can be either a disorderly persons offense, fourth degree indictable offense or a third indictable offense. What degree of possession a Defendant is charged with will dictate the potential exposure one is facing. Here is a breakdown.
Disorderly Persons Offense Drug Charges:
- This offense is more commonly known as a misdemeanor. If convicted, a Defendant could face up to six (6) months in the Mercer Jail, a fine up to $1,000, fees & assessments totaling about $750, a criminal record, community service, a six (6) month driver’s license suspension, mandatory drug treatment and probation.
Fourth Degree Indictable Drug Offense:
- This offense is more commonly known as a felony. If convicted, a Defendant could face up to eighteen (18) months in a New Jersey State Prison, a fine up to $25,000, fees & assessments totaling about $1,000, a felony criminal record, community service, a six (6) month driver’s license suspension, mandatory drug treatment and probation.
Third Degree Indictable Drug Charges:
- This offense is more commonly known as a felony. If convicted, a Defendant could face up to five (5) years in a New Jersey State Prison, a fine up to $35,000, fees & assessments totaling about $1,250, a felony criminal record, community service, a six (6) month driver’s license suspension, mandatory drug treatment and probation.
Can I avoid Jail if I am Convicted of a Drug Charge in NJ?
With all that being said, New Jersey has several diversionary programs available to Defendants charged with possessing a controlled dangerous substance. They are the Conditional Discharge Program, the Pretrial Intervention Program and Drug Court. The Conditional Discharge Program and the Pretrial Intervention Program afford the Defendant the opportunity to walk away from their pending drug possession charges without a criminal record let alone serving a day in jail. Drug Court will afford the Defendant the opportunity to walk away from their pending drug charges without potentially serving a day in jail. For more information on these programs please contact our office at (609)789-0779.
Common Courts we Defend Clients on Drug Charges:
- Lawrence NJ Drug Charge Attorneys;
- Drug Defense Lawyers in Ewing NJ;
- Hamilton NJ Drug Possession Lawyer;
- West Windsor NJ Drug Charges;
- Drug Possession Charges in East Windsor;
- Princeton NJ Drug Lawyer;
- Robbinsville NJ Drug Charges Defense Attorney;
Drug Possession Defense Lawyer in Lawrenceville NJ
As you can tell from above these charges can be devastating to one’s future. If you have been arrested and charged with a possessing heroin, possessing cocaine, possessing marijuana or possessing crystal meth the Law Offices of Proetta & Oliver can help. Our office has extensive experience representing clients charged with various drug offenses in towns like Ewing, Robbinsville, Lawrence, Hightstown, Pennington, Hopewell, West Windsor and Princeton. These offense almost always revolve around some form of either a search or seizure. This is where an experienced drug possession defense attorney can make a drastic difference. They can attack the underlying search at suppression hearing. If successful, the charges would most likely be dismissed. If you would like to come into our office to have a face to face consultation with one of our attorneys then please contact us at (609)789-0779.